Halloween candy

Monday, May 3, 2010

Nokia E72 Unlocked Phone with GPS and Free Voice Navigation -- U.S. Version with Full Warranty (Zodium Black)


I have been using this smart phone for about 2 months now. And while this device was advertized as the smart phone that was supposed to take over the Blackberry (The Economist and other magazines), in many aspects there is still much to be improved.

So let me first say that I am a Nokia fan and for almost 2 years I productively and satisfyingly used the E71, a well built and reliable smart phone.
Would I recommend buying the Nokia E72? NO.

I would rather suggest to either purchase its predecessor, the reliable E71, or to wait for the new Snapdragon-based (CPU) Nokia Symbian phones.

The Hardware: The E72 CPU is definitely faster than that of the E71. Battery life is good. However, the construction and casing of the E71 was much better than the new E72.
For instance, Nokia, among other things, redesigned the battery cover, by reducing the latches to a single latch located in the lower section of the upper side of the battery cover .
On four different occasions, while on a call, I found the battery in my hand, with the expected sudden termination of the call and the long rebooting sequence to get back on line.

The optical trackpad implementation could have been much better (too sensitive). The display feels a bit small, and the loudspeaker isn't loud enough.
The GPS: I also experienced very long delays (between 5-10 minutes!) before the internal phone GPS would recognize any satellite and start functioning (this happened on a regular basis both in the EU and in US).

The software. The firmware that originally came with the phone, as of today I haven't heard of any new releases, is buggy, to say the least.
The phone hangs often (with re-booting required) and the Bluetooth disconnects frequently from my car hands free device (also Nokia) while on a call.

Nokia, disappointingly, also removed important business software from the E72 such as the Podcasting software, Internet radio and SIP client (all very useful business applications that were installed in the previous E71). However, as someone else already pointed out, Nokia at least upgraded its Office applications (Quickoffice) to edit Office 2007 documents.
Nokia has also added Multiscanner, Font Magnifier and Wpresenter, as standard applications. I guess Nokia had to remove software somewhere in order to add the upgraded Quickoffice apps...

If you happen to start the Psiloc World Traveler application on your E72 (as I did), you will receive continuous requests to connect your phone to the Internet via an annoying menu that pops up regularly (Select connection). There is also no way to uninstall any of the pre-installed applications, and I have been told that there is no way to eliminate these Internet access pop-ups, unless you hard-reset the phone.

Moreover, when you set up your IMAP email account in the E72, all outgoing mail will sit in your phone with no way to set up the client with the sent mail folder linked to your IMAP mail server (like most mail client apps).

I conclusion, If Nokia releases new Firmware, I may increase my review to 4 stars, however, I believe that the Nokia E72 and E71 product managers should have met to discuss the redesign before producing a phone that is definitely inferior to its predecessor.
Get more detail about Nokia E72 Unlocked Phone with GPS and Free Voice Navigation -- U.S. Version with Full Warranty (Zodium Black).

No comments:

Post a Comment