Halloween candy

Monday, April 26, 2010

Cheapest Nokia E72 Unlocked Phone with GPS and Free Voice Navigation -- U.S. Version with Full Warranty (Zodium Black)


A little background first. I have used Nokia phones since 1998 and found them reliable and virtually indestructible. I decided to move to a smartphone, no Nokia models were available. My first smartphone ran winmo. It would constantly freeze up and battery life was horrible. I then got a Palm Centro and loved it! It had it's own problems (would reboot randomly and the build quality wasn't great) but overall it was a good little phone. After about 17 months it failed and I couldn't upgrade using my plan. I purchased a unlocked Nokia E63 and was back in the Nokia fold. Build quality was great. When the E72 was announced I decided to go for it. The first reviews from the blogs and tech sites were glowing so I felt good about ordering it. Then the user reviews started....

Build quality problems and the "made in China" complaints made me doubt my decision. Along with other problems.... I received my E72 a little over a month ago and was disappointed in the build quality, especially the loose battery cover. In fact, I went to check out the Blackberry Bold 9700 which was on sale for $89 (after rebate)at Best Buy Mobile. I wasn't impressed with it's build quality either though. Also I was afraid of the AT&T cripple ware that would probably be installed. So I decided to give the E72 a try. I installed my sim and booted up. Push email installed flawlessly and worked great. I suffered none of the problems other users were reporting. I figured I had lucked out and had gotten a "good" one. After a week the loose battery cover settled in and while still not a perfect fit,it was no longer loose. Then week 3 happened...

The first problem occurred while attempting to place a call. The phone would let me dial a number but the call would not complete. Of course I figured it was the (AT&T) network. I then realized I couldn't send text messages either. I did a "soft" reboot and that fixed the problem. A couple of days later, I got the dreaded "space bar doesn't work" problem. Again, a soft reboot fixed this problem. The next day while using the browser, the phone rebooted on its own. Today I got the "buzzing/squeal" problem while talking. Yet again, a restart solved the problem.

In my opinion for what it's worth, I think Nokia released this phone in time for the holiday season without the proper quality control. All of these problems can be fixed by a firmware update. The N900 got one today so hopefully the E72 will receive one soon.

I apologize for the long winded review. Flame on?Get more detail about Nokia E72 Unlocked Phone with GPS and Free Voice Navigation -- U.S. Version with Full Warranty (Zodium Black).

No comments:

Post a Comment